Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Pumpkin From A Green Thumb

I have a green pumpkin sitting near my window. My neighbor who gave it to me said it would turn orange in a few days. I have yet to see any harvest from my garden.

I also passed by her house the other day and noticed her orange tree, filled with green oranges. Below it a line from the mailbox to her house of flourishing plants. Sure there were weeds throughout, but it was all thriving.

My hope is that one day I will have the time and the green thumb to make a garden flourish. Well, I don't have a problem with herbs and I don't have a problem with a variety of other plants, but vegetable plants are so fragile and the heat and humidty in this region...

How then can she and the neighbor across my street and a few other people I know manage to make their vegetable gardens grow so well in this temperature? Is it time? They all are quite a bit older than me and have a bit more time (no kids to tend to) to garden than I do. Is it experience? Because they're older they have learned over time what works and what doesn't. Is really green thumb and only a few people have it? Maybe I have a light green thumb.


I'll figure it out eventually...

No comments:

Post a Comment