Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Organic Valley - In Whom Do We Trust?

I read Organic Valley - In Whom Do We Trust?  and it made me think about trust about the aspect of "organic food". What is organic and how do we know it is really organic? Why should we trust something that is labeled organic? Should we trust blindly or become more informed and possibly even detective consumers?

Personally, the more I know about a company or a farmer, the more likely I am to trust that the food they produce is organic. I want to know what they grow, how they grow it, the hardships, their successes. I want to know a little bit more about them too.

My CSA's farmer tells us a lot about the food she grows for her CSA members. It almost feels like I'm growing and harvesting it myself and the closer I get to my food, where it came from and how it was grown the more comfortable I feel about eating it. I think this is the way it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment