Sunday, July 18, 2010

Experimenting With Mint

My daughter has come down with another cough which will probably mean another ear infection. I'm tired of taking her to the doctor only so the doctor can prescribe her medicine that will temporarily heal her if it heals her at all. What's in the medicine anyways?

Why wont doctors try anything natural? It's all pills, drops, and other medicines that smell bead and taste bad and sometimes work and sometimes don't or only work for a very short period of time. Are the pharm. companies paying the doctors? Can I trust a doctor to look out for my daughter's best interest or for the best interest of his/her pocket book.

I don't know. I'm not a doctor. I'm just a parent tired of my kid getting sick with the same stuff over and over again, be it allergies or some bug she catches from another kid. So, today I went on a hunt for natural remedies to help alleviate coughs and ear infections. I came across so many things. Some that sounded dangerous and some that sounded harmless. Why not try the harmless ones? For example, garlic is suppose to be a great natural healer for ear infections. So is onion and a lot of natural products I already have in my home. There are also a lot of good things to help alleviate a cough.

So, today I'm experimented safely and I made spearmint tea. Earlier today I had her drink some ginger. She isn't fond of the ginger, its too spicy for her, but she loves the spearmint tea. I have plenty in my garden.

Here's the recipe

Ingredients:
fresh spearmint leaves
cinnamon stick
agave or honey
a pot of water
a tea or coffee cup

1. Boil the spearmint leaves and the cinnamon stick in the pot of water. Boil it until the water changes to a darker color (about 5 minutes).

2. Pour agave into the coffee cup. When the tea is done pour the hot tea into the coffee cup.

3. Let it cool for a few minutes.

4. Drink.

I will come back to let you know how the tea helps her cough, but even if it doesn't heal her cough she likes the tea and to me that is important too.

No worries tomorrow I will be taking her to the doctor too. Should I confront the doctor about natural remedies?

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell you why... yes doctors are getting paid by the medicine companies. That's how they stay in business. Medical companies make the medicine to treat the symptom, not the illness... that way the patients stay on the medicine because they stay sick, which equals more money for the pharmaceutical companies and so on. It's a vicious cycle. I remember reading about the University of Michigan & how when it first opened it used to be a naturalistic hospital but people stopped going because they started getting better. Eventually it had to be changed. There's still a hall in Ann Arbor inscribed with the 'School of Natural Medicine.' Needless to say, it's not that any more. Thank god for you using natural remedies for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete